Thanks For The Award!
January 1, 2014 § 14 Comments
Congratulations to my dear friend Jess
on receiving the Readers Appreciation Award –
and thank you for passing it onto me!
I found Jess’s blog quite by accident. Although I am not a Christian, I found her site both fascinating and convivial. It’s a unique and dynamic platform enabling people with widely diverse Christian and spiritual backgrounds to learn from, and about, one another. Check it out on All Along the Watchtower.
Awards are like electronic ‘hugs’. They say ‘I care and appreciate what you’re doing’, and most of us like cuddles from time to time. Being appreciated, and perhaps even understood as a fiction writer, is so important. Filling a blank page with stuff that exists entirely in my head is probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. That is why WordPress is so special as a platform for unpublished writers like myself. It was a great surprise to me that anyone would want to read my fiction, and an even greater surprise that after three months blogging I have had 9000 views and accrued over a hundred followers. Small beginnings for the fledgling story teller – but to me, this is indeed a success!
Thank you to all my friends who follow this blog and who have helped create a unique community full of support and inspiration.
The ‘rules’ for this award are pretty much like all the others:
1. Use the award logo in the post.
2. Link to whoever nominated you.
3. Write ten bits of information about yourself.
4. Nominate fellow bloggers: in this case you will be relieved to know it is just three.
5. Tell the nominees what you’ve done!
So, ten things about me:
1. I’m learning to play the Viol da Gamba. It makes one of the most beautiful, melancholic sounds on the planet when I’m not making it squeak.
2. I gave up smoking six months ago and I’m not going back.
3. I used to be a pilot and now I’m terrified of flying…
4. I’m very, very nosey. I listen to other peoples conversations and turn them into stories.
5. If I were only allowed books from one country to take with me to a desert island, they would be written by Irish writers.
6. I don’t like parties or small talk. I prefer to curl up on the sofa with a book and someone I love.
7. I like being cold, and have the windows open in winter.
8. I dislike shopping unless it’s on the Internet.
9. Being creative – in whatever way – keeps me healthy.
10. I hardly ever finish reading a novel and am often disappointed by them.
And now the hard bit, as there are dozens of talented, inspiring bloggers I would like to nominate.
The three I have chosen are:
Prospero’s Island for the unique and graceful way this blogger views the world and his island through his fiction;
The Velvet Rocket is a fascinating travelogue with great photos, offering an insightful look into other cultures; and
Bookish Nature: a nature blog with a fine narrative and beautiful photos. A hive of information on literature about the natural world.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. x